Sunday, December 14, 2008

2nd day of Christmas

Woohoo! The 2nd day of Christmas brought me a stomach flu. I was about ready to prepare for church when, uh...., mother nature had other plans. We'll just leave it at that. Sorry if that was TMI for some of you. Josh went to my mom's instead to help her make cookies while the little people took naps. (Yes, they STILL nap on the weekends. Can you believe it??) When Josh got home we had a "dinner and a movie night" with the kids. We watched a fun Christmas movie called Fred Claus as we all huddled around the coffee table eating dinner. Happily, my food stayed where it belonged. :)

Speaking of Christmas baking with my mom, a few days ago we went to her house to make our annual Flitch candy. It is an amazingly wonderful rich confection full of peanut butter and sugar! Mmmm..... Leah gave us all STRICT orders that now that she was married she was to receive an ENTIRE tin like the rest of us. My mom makes each of us a tin as a yearly treat. My brother and sister and I go CRAZY over this. Part of it is the taste of course, but part of it is the tradition of it, and part of it is just knowing SHE made it. We help, but it's Mom who orchestrates the whole event.

So Leah we did make you some Flitch, but Mom & Brad aren't going to have a lot of room to take things so are just bringing you & Brent each your own tin. Check it out below. Brad & I looked long and hard for the perfect tins for you. The big one is mine, of course, because of the kiddos. The next size is Mom's & then everyone else got the third size. Then the two smaller ones (one is blue & the other is black w/a gold lid) are for you & Brent. We thought so much of you that we thought you should each have your own. I've posted two different pictures to make sure you see them & even highlighted them for you! Enjoy!

4 comments:

.... said...

That is by far the worst picture I have ever seen. Maybe I should have specified the dimensions required for my tan of flitch.

Anonymous said...

Wow...such generous tins. Leah, I'm not sure what you're complaining about...anyone would love their own tin!!! j/k that is funny, though, Lori!!

Glad you flu is over...just in time for rashes!!! (not her rash...in case others might think you have cooties)

wende said...

oh my gosh lori! i had such a flash back when i saw the photo of the flitch! i had forgotten all about this delightful treat and that grandma jackie used to make it too - must be a family thing!

what a fun tradition! i may have to have you email me the recipe so i can pass it down to my kids!

thanks for the trip down memory lane! and you're right, it IS heavenly!

Gwenda said...

I LOVE that stuff, only we just call it potato candy! Never heard it called flitch before. Last year I put mini chocolat chips in with my peanut butter! YUM!!